Wintrip Consulting, Inc. provides business valuation services that include, but aren’t limited to, the following matters.
- Shareholder disputes;
- Matrimonial disputes; and,
- Purchase and sale transactions.
Value, for most of us, is relative. We’ve all heard the saying that something is only worth what someone will pay you for it.
This is true, but in some cases a value needs to be determined in a notional context where an actual purchaser or transaction may not exist at a specific point in time. In these cases it is possible to examine assets, similar transactions, cash flow and other elements to determine a notional value of an asset.
Valuation and transactional services are an important part of our practice. Purchase and sale transactions, transactional due diligence, partnership dissolutions, shareholder disputes and many other reasons call for the services of a valuation expert. The engagements require the expertise to review the financial information available in the public markets and specific to the company to determine the value of a business.
If you are or represent a business owner, CFO or CEO, if you’re buying or selling a business, or are involved in a dispute over the value of a business, Wintrip Consulting, Inc. can help you understand the value of the business, so you can make informed business and legal decisions.
Wintrip Consulting, Inc. has the expertise to perform business valuations in a wide variety of situations, including the following:
- Purchase sale of a business;
- Succession planning;
- Shareholder disputes;
- Estate planning; and,
- Matrimonial disputes.
This is an area that requires a great deal of judgment and experience. For this reason expertise is vital. Wintrip Consulting, Inc. are experts – Ian Wintrip is a business valuation specialist who holds the Chartered Business Valuator designation (CBV).
Wintrip Consulting’s approach to business valuation can be described in the following general terms:
- Meet with the client to understand the asset(s) to be valued and the context in which the valuation is being requested;
- Establish the scope and terms of the engagement;
- Evaluate alternative approaches to valuation;
- Prepare a preliminary list of required information;
- Meet with management of the company to understand operational and financial aspects of the business, historically, currently and forecast for the future;
- Review of comparable public companies;
- Review of recent transactions involving similar companies;
- Prepare valuation analysis and a report, if required; and
- Attend at trial or other proceedings to communicate findings, if necessary.
- Prepared a valuation of a company providing shared workspace services for tax planning purposes.
- Prepared a valuation in accordance with OSC Rule 61-501 of the consideration to be paid in a transaction between an auto parts manufacturer and its subsidiary. The valuation assisted a special committee of the Board of Directors to make recommendations to the Board.
- Prepared a valuation of a used vehicle auction house based in the U.K. for the purposes of assisting in the potential acquisition of the business on behalf of potential investors.
- Prepared a valuation of a financial services company for the purposes of seeking investors as part of an application for its Bank Charter in Canada.
- Provided valuation assistance to a large engineering consulting firm in relation to the sale of a controlling interest of the company to a major Canadian pension fund.
- Prepared a valuation of the intangibles assets of a company that recycles PCB equipment for the purposes of a purchase price allocation required for financial reporting purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of the shares and intangible assets of a manufacturer of printed circuit boards for the purposes of goodwill impairment testing for financial reporting purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of the intangible assets of a company involved in developing, marketing, transmitting and managing television programming over the internet for the purposes of a purchase price allocation required for financial reporting purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of the intangible assets of a company involved in engineering consulting and project management for the purposes of a purchase price allocation required for financial reporting purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of the intangible assets of a company involved in the provision of wireless fleet and vehicle management services and other telematic products for financial reporting purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of a manufacturer of steel doors for succession planning purposes.
- Prepared a valuation of a privately held distributor of nutritional supplements to assist a buyout of a minority shareholder.
- Prepared valuations of several domestic and import automobile dealerships for matrimonial, estate purposes and corporate reorganizations.
- Prepared an expert report providing an opinion of value a company that provides targeted direct mail programs in Canada and the U.S. The report was prepared for the purposes of a commercial arbitration in respect of the Italian company’s acquisition of an interest in a Canadian private company.
- Prepared an expert report and business valuation in relation to alleged breaches of warranties and misrepresentations in connection with a Share Purchase Agreement for a company involved in the manufacture of metal shielding used in electronic devices.
- Prepared a valuation of a company, with annual sales in excess of $140 million, on behalf of a minority shareholder as part of its dissent to a going public transaction.
- Prepared a valuation of a steel manufacturer on behalf of a group of shareholders in the course of proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act.